7-11-2017


I wonder if they would ever understand I had to leave,
I wonder how Alhaji reacted when he found out that I, his little bride, had somehow managed to escape,
I wonder if Amina still got married to that cow rearer ;the one that needed a new set of teeth,
I wonder if Halima my sister had gotten married immediately I left,
I wonder what Alhaji would have said or done to my parents for letting me run away,
I wonder how my parents would have tried to convince him that they knew nothing of my plans,. I wonder how many times Mother would have cursed me,
I wonder if Halima ever went out of her sight after my saga,
I wonder how my parents would feel about me dropping my hijab,
I wonder how they would feel about my learning to read and write,
I wonder how they would feel about my new found belief in a man called Jesus,
I wonder how they would feel about me bearing Ruth, no longer Hajarat,
I wonder how they'll react if they know I'm getting married to a man called Chima,
I wonder if they ever started to believe in the education of the girl child,
I wonder if they ever got to know the danger of early marriages,
I wonder if they're still alive in some place, or did they die during the bombings,
I wonder if they'll ever know I tried searching for them,
I wonder if they'll ever know I love them no matter what.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts